|
Saturday, August 10, 2002
|
The Mits. I've been tweaking the picture on and off over the last couple of weeks, but I can't get the geometry of the conversion grids. I'm going to have to wait till after I move out of this place before have it ISF Calibrated. Besides, they require at least a 3-4 month break in period before they begin. Otherwise, the picture is beautiful. The main problem though, especially watching 480 Progressive material on DVD, is the MPEG2 compression artifacts in the picture. Since the material is progressive scan, any small blemishes in the picture quality can be seen and projected. From what i've read about the authoring process, some studios actually monitor the entire movie and adjust the level of compression per scene as opposed to giving the entire disc a flat rate. The same compression is comparable to the JPEG picture format.
Digital Cable TV? Time Warner is a joke. The picture is noisy, and even if the Mistubishi can convert 480 Interlaced image to 960p, you still see everything bad about the picture. I signed up for the Time Warner High-Def Cable, but they said there's a three month waiting list and the only channels available in High-Definition is HBO-HD and Showtime-HD. Apparently, the studios that send HBO-HD their movies, author the content straight from the prints in all it's 1080i glory. Hubba hubba. Can't wait.
Song of the Day:
1.) Hope Sandoval and the Warm Intentions - At the Doorway Again.
posted by HZA | 8:52 AM | email | archive
