|
Thursday, May 15, 2003
|
Vietnamese Sweatshop. My white slave driver, Emily, had me toiling over Speaker and CD-Player installation all yesterday afternoon and late into the wee hours of the morning. The CD-Player installation went on without a hitch, but the problems started when I got to the door panel speakers. Those Japanese Geniuses at Toyota decided they needed to stick rivets to secure the speakers in. Had to borrow Emily's dad's set and drill those suckers out.
Another thing is Crutchfield said on their website that the speakers I had ordered for the rear set were 6 3/4", but the box they came in stated they were 6 1/2". I'm not that intelligent, but I sensed something was awry here.
Emily finally booked with my car and left hers in my makeshit EXTREME CAR AUDIO INSTALLATION HUT (AKA GARAGE). I then spent the next three hours getting the "wrong" speakers into the rear. The speakers mounted almost an inch deeper than the factory speakers and the terminals were shorting to the chasis of the car. Well you know, of course I didn't find this all out until I had all the panels back.
I removed the rear speakers, insulated the speaker well and used standoffs to mount the speakers. Professionalism went out the door when exhaustion squatted in. So, everything's working fine...but now my old CD-Player won't read homemade CD-R's, only premade ones. Now I gotta get a new CD-Player for that car. Cripes.
After all was said and done, there's about two gallons of man ass funk in Emily's Corolla. The new system sounds good though and when I see that smile on Emily's face with my bloodshot eyes, it makes all the sweating, frustation and general discomfort just a little bit more bearable.
Side Note: Since I did convert my Garage into a Vietnamese Sweat Shop, it was only fitting that by 2 in the morning I went inside and ate a bowl of rice. Afterwards, I contracted SARS and ate my dog.
posted by HZA | 8:42 AM | email | archive
