|
Thursday, January 15, 2004
|
I just read five reviews of 'From Justin to Kelly'. You know, the movie starring the two finalists from Season One of American Idol. Interesting enough, I really want to see how bad this movie is...or do i?
Also, I would like to reiterate how much I loathe 'The Princess Bride'. I didn't like it when I was a kid (back then I loved Mel Brookes' Space Balls...and we know how well that stood the test of time) and I can safely say that it still hasn't enchanted into one of the legion of neo-peter-pannites it spawned.
It was always unnerving to here somebody repeat that stupid line "Maywige, blah blah blah."
Other overrated films:
-- The Graduate. Excrutiating, annoying film. In general, I really don't mind Simon y Garfunkel, but damn does the soundtrack suck (excluding Mrs. Robinson--I dig that song). The only part of the movie I like is when he's swimming in the pool with the wetsuit.
-- Braveheart. I loved the film the first two times I saw it. Nothing was more satisfying than seeing the British get their snooty asses kicked by the Scots, but over time (try at least four more takes of this movie), the adrenaline factor has easily died. When that happened, it allowed me to focus on some of the overacting in the film.
-- Titanic. I don't have much more to say than that. Any red blooded male can back me up on on this, because the schmaltz level of Cameron's sinking masterpiece is at levels higher than the FDA reccommends. Emily and I saw this on FX the other day and I cringed all the way to about when the boat sink, which is the best part of the movie. Why was it the best part? Because James Cameron can only write good dialogue when it involves screaming.
-- The Matrix. Nearly missing the Best Original Screenplay nomination by a hair. Keanu gives a performance worthy of at LEAST a Screen Actor's Guild of America award.
-- Gladiator. Movie was only good for the quotes. I don't know how many times I've used quote, "I'm terribly vexxed." Other notable quotable: "On my command, unleash hell' (best used in the bathroom).
-- The Bridges of Madison County. I like Meryl Streep. I liked Meryl Streep enough to watch this 1/3 the way through. My boss likes this movie. I don't get it.
-- Kevin Smith movies. I've finally figured it out: All his films are overrated, with the exception of Chasy Amy.
posted by HZA | 3:54 PM | email | archive
