|
Tuesday, February 10, 2004
|
I got recruited for @mway! Yes, It finally happened. I could make a Billion Dollars a Year. Well, actually it wasn't @mway but it's internet subsidary Quick(X)star. I couldn't believe it was happening that I almost blew a chance to go even further down the "upline".
It started out innocently enough at the Barnes n' Nobles magazine rack. As I was perusing through Photography Magazines, a couple walked up to the rack looking quite interested in the Photography Magazines as well. They casually look over to me and say, "You're into photography?".
My first instinct told me they might ask me for a Digital Camera recommendation.
"Yeah, I just got into it this year." I replied. They were nice enough and I thought I was striking up a conversation about digital imaging. It started getting deeper, their majors, their inspirations on photography. A little bit of me started to doubt the bucket of bullshit they were layering on when they couldn't give me any technical details on cameras and photography in general--since they did mention that they have been into photography for almost five or six years.
Here was the real stickler though: at some point they mentioned their "Independent E-Commerce Business". It was real casual at first but when they mentioned that their affiliate company made "over a billion in sales last year" I knew I was in for the REALLY good shit here.
I mean, seriously, when do you get a chance to participate in a Multilevel Marketing Scheme, otherwise known as a Pyramid Scheme?
A little bit of me was irritated that these IBO (or Independent Business Owner's in the Quick(X)star universe) fucks would bother me while I was looking for a magazine. I resisted the urge to pull apart their veiled pyramid of lies and sunk deeper into their sales pitch.
They gave me a business card and asked if they could call me, which I then wrote my work phone number in their book. I'm really anticipating their call tomorrow to setup a "business meeting" at my home. I think i'll point them in the direction of East Fifth.
posted by HZA | 9:52 PM | email | archive
