|
Monday, October 25, 2004
|
Well.. I had a couple funny stories to tell about the weekend, but we got a nuclear bomb dropped on us at work. My boss just told me that he's resigning from the company, which could possibly mean a shut down of the facility.
Why would one man quitting decide the fate of the facility? Because he was instrumental to our opening, development and continuing success. He got fed up with upper management in Cali. and decided it was time to jump ship. Since he has essentially been the coolest boss I've ever worked for, it's kind of a disappointment that I will no longer be under his studious supervision. As much as I would not like to see him go, it's a decision he felt like he had to make (and didn't take lightly). I wish him good luck.
I can remember the first time I saw him at the company we used to work for. I was just a nubile young adult, working in production--he, a grizzled semiconductor veteran. One day, he looked out and saw my fresh, young, self working the grind and said (in that burly, lumberjack voice): "YOU." With a curled, gnarly index finger, he motioned me closer.
"Yes sir?" I said, wide eyed.
"YOU'RE GOING TO BE WORKING UNDER ME NOW."
I couldn't believe it..it was like being called up to the majors (Go Red Sox, by the way). I went immediately home, filled with optimism and a desire for a brand new day. Over the next couple of months, he showed me the ropes: DO THIS, DON'T DO THAT, GET ME SOME COFFEE, WEAR SOMETHING TIGHT.
After a while, I was an experienced, grizzly worker myself. As old people usually say: "Experience is not taught, it's experienced."
Looks like I'll be spending ample time on Monster.com today. Besides, this could end up as a good thing...I could finally work less than an hour away from home. Fingers crossed. If anybody has some leads, I would be forever your indentured s3x slave.
posted by HZA | 1:05 PM | email | archive
