|
Tuesday, January 18, 2005
|
Day 1. Man oh man, what a day. Can't complain, but sure as hell have a lot of work ahead of me. The General showed me around to a bunch of people that I can only recall maybe one right now. He then gave me a crash course on the entire Medical Insurance Industry..in..like..30..minutes. Funny thing is that his cubicle is right next to mine, which is right in the middle of the office.
I went to lunch with my new boss and another guy who'll somehow be indelibly linked to my new position. We had Japanese hibachi. It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. It was all awkward.
Actually, it wasn't that bad. Found out New Boss is from Jersey (just like my next-of-kin-in-law) which somehow got me into a secret sorority of the "why do Jersey people do that?" (kinda like the Ya-Ya one, but not as dumb).
I do remember scouring over manuals when a skinny shadow fell over my desk. It was Wally and he wanted to know what's up. Here I am, close to 10 years out of high school and I'm back to sharing pencils and desks with these mooks. If you can't beat em' I guess..
Here's something else that's pretty quirky--I used to have a friend at my old place that was into Photography named Dave and there's ANOTHER guy at my new job named Dave who's also into Photography. I shot the shit with him a bit about photography while waiting for somebody from IS to set up my system accounts. The girl from IS that showed up to plug my hard drive back in was like watching a mystical gnome enchant a water sprite..shit, i'll stop right there.
---
New Lens is in! Unfortunately, it was almost pitch black by the time I got home. It's a Canon "L" series lens and is built better than my 28-70mm f/2.8L. The focus/zoom rings are well damped and it's an internal zoom. I could post some stupid indoor high ISO shots, but I won't bore you with those. It's good to have a wide angle lens again.
Well, I gotta go read my Immanuel Kant for tomorrow's class. GOOD LUCK.
posted by HZA | 8:52 PM | email | archive
